Thursday 1 March 2012

Alberto's pictures

Alberto sent me a link to some of his pictures on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/amartinchavez/
I hope you don't mind me discussing them here, Alberto? There are lots of interesting photographs here, and it seems obvious that you have a good visual sense some real technical control of the camera. I get the feeling that you are exploring visually and photographically. I wonder who you have been looking at - which photographers you like? There's a frequent set of experiments with motion, which I think is worth developing. It makes me think of Henri Cartier Bresson pictures of the sculptor Giacometti.
Giacometti, by Henri Cartier Bresson

 You might also appreciate the pictures taken in St Petersburg by Alexy Titarenko.

 There are also some very interesting pictures of street reflections, which might be real or might be Photoshopped? I don't know - I hope they are observed and real because I find that to be more elegant - observing and managing to photograph a scene in the city that makes it appear a bit magical and a little confusing. I think Lee Friedlander explored graffiti and signs in the city - 'Letters from the People' was the name of the book he created. 
You'll see that Bresson, Titarenko, Friedlander all had a visual style, and often had a series of specific subjects or projects that they worked on. Titarenko's iconography of post-Soviet cities, Friedlander's graffiti and signs, Bresson's 'decisive moment' - all ways of concentrating their focus and attention. Once you have got the control of the camera, and can use it, you can develop and deepen your photography by exploring an idea, a subject or a visual style. 
So in Alberto's case, (because you can clearly work the camera) you might want to start creating short bodies of work that are related in theme. Maybe consider making folios of prints of 10-15 of the best. Perhaps show them to people, for example the Stills camera club, or the Scottish Photographers' portfolio sessions. 

Alberto Martin

Alberto Martin


No comments:

Post a Comment