Thursday 5 May 2011

Raymond Moore : “If I were dropped into (the middle) I don’t think I’d want to photograph, I’d have to move out to the edge. Definite statements have something preaching about them. I’ve always been interested in the point where cultures meet."




My idea to focus our attention, is to look for boundaries, borders, frames and edges.
Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas that might prove fruitful:

Old Town/New Town,
History and modernity,
Past and present
Ugly/beautiful
Imaginary
Historical – Cannongait
Geographical – Rivers, mountain
City boundaries
Greenbelt, bypass
Within the image – acutance, composition lines, juxtaposition, reflections, framelines, barriers

Pictures:
Brookes Jensen – working in series:


Colin Baxter:

Jerome Lorieau – striking travel and photojournalism:

David Springford: mono ‘fine art’ pictorial:

Eugene Atget at Getty:

and at Photography Now:

Josef Sudek, Czeck ‘Poet of Prague’

Andre Kertesz
Edwin Smith
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/photography/magnify.php?imageid=im00260

No comments:

Post a Comment