Wednesday 8 June 2011

Friday June 10 - Red Moss of Balerno, Threipmuir

So I went to the abandoned shopping centre for a look about and to see if we could get access for Friday. I wandered through the security gate, past the CCTV cameras and loudhailers looking for someone to ask. It was an interesting, slightly eerie place, and I took a few record pictures while looking for the security guard. He eventually found me, and promptly threw me out. Next time I will go through the proper channels, instead of a gap in the gate. Let's go to Threipmuir instead, it's less weird. It's just outside Balerno, on the edge of Edinburgh city, and you can move from a raised bog, the 'Red Moss'  full of bog-cotton, through beech tree avenues and onto the moors of the Pentland hills. I went for a look around this evening, and got stuck in the bog (not literally), exploring the cotton, the sphagnum mosses, birch wood and ferns. A good place to photograph, and it might be useful to bring macro kit if you have it, and wellies if you want to tiptoe off the walkway.
Here are the Google map directions.
If you go to Balerno and follow the signs to Threipmuir reservoir, park in the first carpark right next to the Red Moss.

No comments:

Post a Comment